Nomad Hand Held X-Ray Unit Review

Well I am here in St. Kitts enjoying the morning sun and figured before everyone awakened I would write the review.

For those who don't know what Nomad is please check a my November 28th blog entry for pictures.

Basically Nomad is a hand held x-ray machine. The first thing that needed to be done was to see if my State had allowed this unit to be used. In NJ it was approved for use in October 2006. So that problem was dealt with. There maybe some restrictions on how it is used. Aribex (the maker of Nomad) can advise you about the monitoring restrictions if any exist for your state. The unit is a DC and is state of the art for dealing with digital radiography (both sensors and phosphor plates) along with conventional film.

The concerns most dentists voice are about size and weight. Well the unit is similar to an 8 pound cordless drill. It is a little a awkward at first but my staff adapted to it very quickly. In fact the Nomad became the x-ray unit of choice in the office. No complaints about the weight or the unit being difficult to handle. All the assistants and hygienists preferred the Nomad to the wall mounted unit.

One thing that came as a surprise was the staff members telling me it improved work flow. No longer did they have to walk out of the room. They were able to acquire radiographs much more efficiently.

So it was a very enjoyable week with a Nomad hand held x-ray unit. I will hear the complaints when I get back to the office that it is not there. So when I get back from vacation I will be purchasing this unit for my office.

If you are considering building a new office consider one or two Nomad's as they will save you money in the long run along with time and licensing fees.

Comments