ATLANTA—Each year, the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) showcases the latest scientific findings and technological advances in the field of oral surgery. One such piece of innovative technology is the digital intraoral scanner.
“Intraoral scanners may still be new to OMS, but they can be used in a number of ways to improve efficiency, eliminate waste and provide more comfortable experience for patients,” Gary Salman, U.S. director of oral and maxillofacial surgery, Carestream Dental, said. “We have recently made improvements to the scanner specific to oral surgeons, including a dedicated implant planning workflow and all new HD 3D imaging.”
Carestream Dental introduced its intraoral scanner, the CS 3500, to oral surgeons at the AAOMS Annual Meeting in 2014. Now, just in time for the 2015 Annual Meeting, here are the top five ways digital intraoral scanners are changing the way oral surgeons practice.
- New for 2015, custom abutments, which allow for patient-specific anatomical shape, can be fabricated by simply scanning a scan body using the CS 3500’s custom abutment workflow and then sending the data to the appropriate lab. This streamlines the process and saves valuable chair time.
- CS 3500 digital impression data, stored on the office network, can easily be shared between the oral surgeon and referring doctors, speeding up the process of treatment planning, implant placement and the restorative process. Not only that, digital files can be quickly uploaded to the lab of the surgeon’s or referring doctor’s choice through a secure web-hosted platform.
- The CS 3500 allows the oral surgeon and general practitioner to easily work together. For example, staff at the OMS practice take digital impressions and submit the case to the lab. The crown can then be sent directly to the general practitioner for the final restorative work. This prevents the patient from having to make multiple separate visits between doctors.
- Intraoral scanners eliminate traditional impression materials by digitizing the area of interest scanned and making it available for instant chairside viewing—ultimately saving time and reducing mess.
- The latest feature of the CS 3500, HD 3D imaging, offers enhanced color and superior detail for more accurate digital impressions, making diagnosis and surgical planning more precise from the start.
The latest upgrade to the CS 3500’s CS Acquisition software—3D HD imaging—improves image quality with more vivid color and details that better reflects the in-vivo situation. Also known as 3D “texture mapping” from a technical perspective, the enhanced quality and color of the images provide more details to support margin line detection. Users can easily switch to HD 3D images with just the click of a mouse to show patients visually appealing images, which can make patient/doctor communication, as well as case acceptance, easier.
The CS 3500 allows practitioners to easily acquire true color, 2D and 3D images and requires no external heater or trolley system. Additionally, the CS 3500 uses open-format STL files for easy sharing and can be plugged directly into a computer’s USB—making it a truly portable. The scanner offers workflows for restorative dentistry, orthodontics and implantology.
Carestream Dental will be showcasing the CS 3500 at the AAOMS 2015 Annual Meeting exhibition in Washington, D.C., Oct. 1-3, 2015, in booth #1418. Visit the booth to preview HD 3D imaging, or learn more about the integration agreement between CS WinOMS practice management software and Intuit Demandforce.
For more information on any Carestream Dental’s innovative solutions or to request a product demonstration, call 800.944.6365 or visit www.carestreamdental.com.
About Carestream Dental
Carestream Dental provides industry-leading imaging, CAD/CAM, software and practice management solutions for dental and oral health professionals. With more than 100 years of industry experience, Carestream Dental products are used by seven out of 10 practitioners globally and deliver more precise diagnoses, improved workflows and superior patient care. For more information or to contact a Carestream Dental representative, call 800.944.6365 or visit www.carestreamdental.com.
About Carestream Health
Carestream is a worldwide provider of dental and medical imaging systems and IT solutions; X-ray imaging systems for non-destructive testing and advanced materials for the precision films and electronics markets. For more information about the company’s broad portfolio of products, solutions and services, please contact your Carestream representative, call 888.777.2072 or visit www.carestream.com.
|Follow us online:|